June 12, 2020
As a call to action for Susquehanna University to become an actively antiracist community, I have asked Professors Shari Jacobson and Olu Onafowora to lead “CenSUs: Everyone Counts” a task force of faculty, staff, and students to develop a series of action steps to be undertaken this summer and in the coming year to assure our campus is a supportive community in which all members feel welcome and supported.
These efforts will begin with reviews of Public Safety and our partnerships with regional law enforcement, campus facilities, website and social media strategies, and student-centered education. The task force will develop recommendations for:
- How can we ensure the safety of all members of our campus community?
- This will include a review of campus facilities, the Student Health Center, Counseling Services, Public Safety, and our surrounding community as well as recommendations for how each will be prepared and positioned for the needs of our community.
Training and Education
- How can faculty and staff be best prepared to help students and each other to effectively navigate productive dialog and work across difference while honestly acknowledging the roles of privilege in each of our lives?
- This will include recommendations for professional development of our employees and educational programming for our students.
Policies and Procedures
- How should our policies and procedures be revised to eliminate hidden bias and obstacles?
- This will include the development and implementation of inclusive campus practices and policies that recognize the unique characteristics and needs of all members of our community.
We will confirm the membership of this task force in the coming days.
It is critically important that all members of our community know that Black Lives Matter at Susquehanna University. We will affirm this through the actions we take as a community in the coming weeks and months.
Please join me in fully supporting the work of this task force.
Jonathan D. Green
514 University Avenue
Selinsgrove, PA 17870