Join us from July 7-13, 2019
Calling all high school students interested in radio, television, journalism and public relations! With support of faculty and student mentors, you'll create a digital portfolio throughout this weeklong program.
Attend daily workshops and seminars led by media professionals and Susquehanna faculty and produce a live, one-hour radio broadcast. Learn the art of on-air interviewing, unleash the power of Adobe Creative Suite, use production and editing software, and practice journalistic writing and formats.
High school students entering grades 10-12 are invited to register.
Highlights of the week
- Network with industry professionals, Susquehanna faculty and current communications students
- Create a digital portfolio of your week's work
- Produce a live, one-hour radio broadcast
- Take an off-campus trip to a multimedia facility
- Unwind with two pizza parties
- Experience life in college residence halls and three meals a day in Evert Dining Hall
- Attend daily workshops and seminars led by media professionals and SU professors
- Learn basic journalistic writing skills and formats
- Discover the important components of your discipline (radio, television, journalism, public relations)
- Unleash the power of Adobe Creative Suite and learn how to create polished print materials
- Attend an etiquette dinner
- Learn the art of on-air interviewing
- Better understand the use of social media in a professional setting
- Develop knowledge of editing and production software and understand the creative approaches needed for successful video content
Comprehensive fees include room, meals and all program materials.
- After May 8: $1,025
Scholarships are available based on financial need and academic performance. No full-tuition scholarships are available.
A letter from your guidance counselor, indicating your eligibility for free/reduced lunch or other measure(s) of financial need, is required for scholarship consideration.
All registrations must be submitted no later than June 22.
A non-refundable $250 deposit is due at registration. Balance is due 14 days prior to starting camp.
All supporting documentation must be received prior to your arrival on campus.
Linda Burkley, APR, is a lecturer in public relations at Susquehanna University, where she has taught for the past 10 years. She is also the president of Ardis Communications, an award-winning public relations firm.
Burkley has nearly three decades of experience in the communications industry, managing campaigns and strategies for the public and private sectors. She owns three radio stations in western Pennsylvania.
Burkley was named one of Pennsylvania's Top 50 Women in Business in 2008 and was named a distinguished alumni of La Roche College in 2015. She is a graduate of La Roche College and Duquesne University and received the prestigious Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) in 2005.
Dawn Benfer is the general manager of Susquehanna University's award-winning radio station 88.9FM, WQSU and an adjunct professor at Susquehanna.
Benfer worked in the broadcast industry for over three decades in small and medium market radio before coming to Susquehanna in 2016. Benfer has experience in news, sales, promotions, management and social media and spent 20 years as a morning drive co-host on air personality. She has also actively been involved in coaching on air talent, serving several radio stations as program director and operations manager throughout her career in Pennsylvania, Missouri and Virginia.
Benfer and her staff are recipients of several "Excellence in Broadcasting" awards from the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters and several awards from the Intercollegiate Broadcasting Systems.
Benfer is a graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S.in communications.